Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help

From: LD
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 5.3 setup help
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2005 17:53:05 +1100

Hi again,

okay, here's what I've done so far... if someone could please help with the next steps to take that'd be great!

I'm using FreeBSD 5.3.

On 04/02/2005, at 9:50 AM, LD wrote:

add[ed] this line to /etc/fstab and reboot[ed]:
proc    /proc   procfs  rw      0       0

then install via /usr/ports/devel/gnustep
...and all of the dependencies seemed to install without a hitch.

[Then] moved onto Section #4 of the GNUstep Installation Instructions.

I haven't done step 4.4 but have set the Timezone and it seems at some point that a script has been added to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ startup scripts already to starts/stops gdomap and gdnc but not gpbs (but seeing as I hadn't set up X11 as yet this was probably a good thing, yes?)...

I've then installed X.org's X11 implementation...
# cd /usr/ports/x11/xorg && make install clean

... and have created a working '/etc/X11/xorg.config' file.

But I have no idea (and there doesn't seem to be any useful documentation on the WindowMaker.org website) on how to configure WindowMaker and set it as the default Window Manager nor indeed how to set the desktop environment to the above installed GNUstep desktop.

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks very much.

with regards,

--
Lachlan Deck