help-libidn

Re: Fix Win64 oddity in libidn 1.38 stringprep

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Fix Win64 oddity in libidn 1.38 stringprep
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2023 09:08:02 +0200

Tim Rühsen <tim.ruehsen@gmx.de> writes:

> On 10.04.23 16:18, Francesco Pretto wrote:
>> On Mon, Apr 10, 2023, 15:49 Simon Josefsson <simon@josefsson.org
>> <mailto:simon@josefsson.org>> wrote:
>>      > On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 08:34, Simon
>>     Hi.  I'm coming back to this, but I'm still unable to reproduce
>> it.  Can
>>     you (or someone) help me to reproduce the bug in simple steps, without a
>>     Windows-platform?  I tried MinGW64 and it works:
>>
>> You possibly need a VisualStudio build to reproduce this. Since the
>> fact there's a bug is very evident, you shouldn't trust if it works
>> in other compilers. I remember the reproduction case was just
>> running stringprep against a simple string. I am away from my dev
>> setup right now, I can't supply more info right now, sorry.
>> Regards,
>> Francesco
>
> This Dockerfile seems to allow cross-compilation on Linux using MSVC:
> https://github.com/mstorsjo/msvc-wine

Wow, that seems like great work!  I'll put this on my todo-list, however
debugging failures on non-free platforms is something I'm happy to
receive help with.  If anyone of the original Windows developers have
spare time to give me a step-by-step shell script command way to
reproduce the problem on a free software platform (MinGW and Wine etc),
that would be great.  A GitLab CI/CD pipeline with the above Dockerfile
would be good to, to add regression testing for MSVC (if that is
permitted license-wise).

/Simon