help-liquidwar6

[Help-liquidwar6] About the "speed" parameter

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: [Help-liquidwar6] About the "speed" parameter
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 07:40:41 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, November 7, 2009 10:22 pm, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> This makes level xml design a lot simpler! Anyways, while trying to test
> what the MPS HUD showed, I couldn't get the following ancient values to
> work:
> rounds-per-sec
> moves-per-round
> fighter-scale
Well, they "still" work but only if you disable the new speed control.
This is achieved by setting "downsize-using-bench-value" to false.

There's a new section about resampling on:

http://www.ufoot.org/liquidwar/v6/snapshots/20091108snapshot/doc/Designing-levels.html

I realized after generating the snapshots that documentation is important
too, and users using non-GNU OSes might find it interesting to have an
updated HTML documentation at hand. So here it is. It will be generated
with each snapshot. There's also a ChangeLog.txt which you might read to
find out wether downloading the new snapshot is worth it or not. I tend to
be lazy with ChangeLog messages (being the only active *coder* on the
game, maintaining picky entries is tedious compared to what it's worth)
but still there's always an entry when significant commits are done.

> But more important, how does that speed parameter work? It seems to accept
> both integer and float ...
If it's float, it accepts integers. It's float, so values like 1.2 3 0.3 5
are all valid. The GUI allows you to have a max of 10 and a min of 10%
(0.1). This is already a rather wide range. X10 is really really fast, the
game gets limited by other parameters such as its internal message queues.
10% is slowish enough to allow tactical gameplay. Slower might be
interesting, just just "liquidwar6 --speed=0.001". I don't recommend
values below 0.1 as far as map design is concerned.

> LW6 should probably consider network speed when deciding the right
> whatever-per-sec and fighter-scale.
Yes. I plan to have a "divide by 2" operation when playing network games.
That's to say someone with bench 60 will fire a game to which people with
benches "over 30" can connect.

> You're right, it was src/liquidwar6 which did the trick ... it seems a bit
> unorthodox that one has to start the executeable one step back in the
> directory structure, but as long as it works ... !
>
> Here is my steps, if anyone needs a "Compiling LW6 for Dummies" :-)
Cool!

I must find a way to put this somewhere in the docs, it's really valuable
informations. As an end-user of various software, I tend to really like
HOWTOs and prefer them to "academic" documentation.

Have a nice day,

Christian.

--
Christian Mauduit <address@hidden> - http://www.ufoot.org/ ___ __/\__