help-liquidwar6

Re: [Help-liquidwar6] About the "speed" parameter

From: Christian Mauduit
Subject: Re: [Help-liquidwar6] About the "speed" parameter
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:39:51 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, November 11, 2009 2:50 pm, Kasper Hviid wrote:
> Thanks, I couldn't get it to work entirely, so I think I will just ask:
> what
> does MPS show, exactly?  I once throught that it showed "moves-per-round"
> /
> "rounds-per-sec", but some of the values it showed didn't really fit with
> that. (180/177)
MPS is "moves per sec". It is moves-per-round * rounds-per-sec. The left
value (180 in your example) is the "real" value. The right value (177) is
the theorical value the program tries to match. Typically, with the
settings you describe, a network computer connecting on yours would need
to go "up to 177 moves per sec" else it would lag. It's normal to have a
slight difference between these two values, the game tries to match the
target rate but it might sometimes be ahead or behind, it's not a real
problem. The problem is if left number is really low. For instance 35/60
is a bad situation, it means you required 60 moves/sec but for some reason
(not enough CPU, magical "bench wizardry" being broken or unplugged, too
many programs running on the machine, defrag in process, ...) it can't
keep up. Additionnally, I think there's a bug that causes this displayed
values to be buggy (sometimes reports ridiculously low value for the left
part, the real value, when game is obviously still fast).

It's IMHO interesting to have the target value (177) displayed for you
can't figure in advance what will be the real moves per sec, since it's
modified by all the "speed" parameter-related automatic stuff. So the real
value (180) means nothing it you don't have the theorical value to compare
it to.

> Documentation and ChangeLog.txt are just perfect!
>
> Speaking of documentation, I think you should add a "stay outa  this"
> warning to things like moves-per-round. Also, some of the xml-files might
> feel better about themselves if they had a few <!-- --> inside. Not top
> priority, but worth a note.
>
> Anyway, I better work on some level xml myself ... I can smell the
> deadline
;)

Have a nice day,

ufoot.