Re: adding functions to function.c

From: Dill, John
Subject: Re: adding functions to function.c
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:47:22 -0600

>> Do you maintain your own special version of make with your own additions?
>
>Now you are talking! ;-)

Does that mean you have your own special build of make, or hinting at guile as
the new direction of make?

>> and whether or not some other development effort is being done
>
>There are plans to add Guile to GNU make as a scripting language in the
>version after the next one. Meantime I would suggest you use $(call)/$(eval)
>and/or $(shell) unless you have special needs (like speed) and can afford
>to require patched make to build your projects.

I have heard of guile, but I have no idea what it does.  I don't really get the
big picture from a brief look at it.  How will guile change make?  Will it
allow you to write scripts calling its C functions without having to recompile,
or something different?

>> Also, where would I find the current source of make if I want to make
>> contributions?
>
>That would be on savannah:
>
>http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/make

Thanks,