Re: adding functions to function.c

From: Boris Kolpackov
Subject: Re: adding functions to function.c
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:01:58 +0000 (UTC)

"Dill, John" <address@hidden> writes:

> Does that mean you have your own special build of make, or hinting
> at guile as the new direction of make?

What I mean is that adding functions to make is not a big deal. The big
deal starts when you require special make to build your code. Positioning
"guile as the new direction of make" would be an overly strong statement.
The idea is much simpler than that: GNU make needs scripting facility.
Instead of reinventing the wheel (by implementing our own) we can just
reuse something suitable. Guile seem like the best choice so far.

> How will guile change make?

There is no definite plan yet but, based on my understanding, it won't
change too much. There will be a "gateway" function, called for example
guile, which will allow you to write something like this:

foo := $(guile (+ 1 2))

As I said this is just my understanding of things and I may be wrong.
There are also some interesting questions that needs to be answered
before things get clear like whether make variables / built-in functions
are accessible from within guile, etc.

hth,
-boris