Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Brendan Heading
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 18:12:30 +0000

Philip Guenther writes:
I'm also unimpressed by the fact that the cited examples all seem to
use .WAIT as a kludge around the incomplete dependency tree of a
recursive make setup.  Making that particular hole easier to live in
just means more people will dig themselves into it...

I was waiting for someone to say this. Is there a use case for this .WAIT syntax outside of helping people not understanding how to correctly describe the dependencies for a target ? Surely the tool should, where possible, not encourage bad habits. As Philip says, surely it would be better to encourage people to lay out their dependencies explicitly to enforce the ordering of target builds (which is what I always do at present if two targets cannot build in parallel). At least for regular C build work, if a build cannot complete properly in parallel then the Makefiles almost certainly haven't been written properly. I'm sure this is largely true for most other languages out there (though I heard a while ago that C++ template stuff can get hairy). Brendan