Re: Improvement on parallel make

From: Alexey Neyman
Subject: Re: Improvement on parallel make
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 11:34:31 +0300

Philip,

It is ok if there is a clear dependency like you pointed out.

There may be cases when it doesn't work, however. E.g. the 'ar' tool
does not lock the archive while updating it. Thus, running 'ar' on
the same archive concurrently may corrupt it.

Imagine that both local Makefile and Makefiles in subdirectories need
to update the archive. How do you express it using normal
dependencies?

Regards,
Alexey.