RE: how to do recursive "subsystem" make properly?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: how to do recursive "subsystem" make properly?
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 13:06:16 -0800

>That said, if nothing needs to be remade, the effect of recursive make is to simply run make several times - one for each sub-make - each of which do nothing more than determine that nothing needs to be done.

No, this is my point (I think).  The top-level make, will not just “determine that nothing needs to be done”.  It will run the subdir make, that one will indeed determine that nothing needs to be done.  But then, the top make, will have to remake all the targets, that depended on the “subsystem” target – because the subsystem target was “remade”.