RE: how to do recursive "subsystem" make properly?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: RE: how to do recursive "subsystem" make properly?
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 16:19:22 -0800

>we would like some kind of message to the user, indicating that fact, such as
>"nothing to be done for foobar". And that message has to be after the subdir
>messages.

Without that message, the user sees this:

D:\tmp>make foobar
make -C subdir
make[1]: Entering directory `D:/tmp/subdir'
make[1]: Nothing to be done for `all'.
make[1]: Leaving directory `D:/tmp/subdir'

which is not a good thing, because they think, we attempted to go into
subdirectory, great, but, nothing was attempted in the current directory...