Re: Implicit Rules with Different Source and Object Directory Question

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: Implicit Rules with Different Source and Object Directory Question
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 12:43:27 +0100

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:37 PM, redcomet <address@hidden> wrote:
and I CANT have object files appearing in
/usr/src/special/subproject/src/../common/getopt.o
aka /usr/src/special/subproject/common/getopt.o

as they would if I do the 'right' thing.

I dont think anyone can doubt the logic of having a common source directory
for certain common files.  So what is the 'right' way to handle this
situation?
(other than generating object files in the source directory :P)

The "right" thing to do here to for the common routines to be in a separate library, which is then linked by the subproject. Sometimes this means re-ordering the build so that the core sublibs get built before any subproject rely on them.

--
----- stephan beal
http://wanderinghorse.net/home/stephan/