help-nano

Re: How to invoke a spell checker ?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: How to invoke a spell checker ?
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 17:32:40 +0200

Op 12-05-2024 om 12:19 schreef Seb:
I have the following line in ~/.nanorc:
     set speller "aspell -l FR -t -x -c"

This very same line works fine for me.  When I invoke
`nano README` and type ^T^T, then the first highlighted
word is "nano", and the offerings are 1) nana,  6) mono,
and so on.  After typing "i", the next word is "editor",
and the offerings are 1) éditer,  6) édité, et cetera.
So it's spell checking for French just fine.

Now if I try to spell check an entire file with Nano 8.0, with ^T^T,
I get the following white-on-red error message:
      Program 'aspell' complained

Then type ^X (exit from nano).  On the terminal should
be the complaint that aspell had.

If not, then use aspell on the command line, using the
exact same command as in the 'set speller' line:

  aspell -l FR -t -x -c  nameofyourfile

Then aspell should tell what it doesn't like.

Or... maybe grep your nanorcs for "speller".  Maybe there
are multiple lines with 'set speller'?

Benno