help-nano

Re: How to invoke a spell checker ?

From: Seb
Subject: Re: How to invoke a spell checker ?
Date: Mon, 13 May 2024 12:49:27 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Benno,

Now if I try to spell check an entire file with Nano 8.0, with ^T^T,
I get the following white-on-red error message:
      Program 'aspell' complained
Then type ^X (exit from nano). On the terminal should be the complaint that aspell had.

Good idea! I should have thought of that...
And... this was the winning ticket.
aspell was complaining like this:
        Error: No word lists can be found for the language "fr".
It turns out that word lists for aspell have been put in other packages
(here aspell-fr). One of my previous updates to the OS seems to have upgraded the aspell package and words were nowhere to be found afterward.
Strange. I installed aspell-fr and now all is well.

So, it turns out that this wasn't a question about Nano, after all.
Sorry for the noise, and thanks again Benno.

Sébastien.