Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: A gtk browser for GNU Smalltalk ?

From: Jan Vrany
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Re: A gtk browser for GNU Smalltalk ?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 14:10:23 +0100

Hi,

I did some initial attempt to port OmniBrowser.
Unfortnately, I'm now overloaded with my own
projects, so cannot continue.

I spent some time with Juraj Kubelka to implement
some features in Squeak OB, with implementing a bit
more complicated browsers using OB and now I'm not
convinced that OB is the best way.

Yes, OB has all the nice stuff like meta graphs, UI separation
etc, but when you want something more complicated than
several lists and text pane on the bottom, it's a hell.
My primary smalltalk platform Smalltalk/X and browser there
is extremely usable, exteremely convenient (it's like
using vi and eclipse :-)

So, creating GTK browser from scratch might result in
better (read more usable) browser in shorter time.

To be a little bit consructive: I can contribute, but I
don't have time to start from scratch.

Jan