FW: [Help-smalltalk] FW: A gtk browser for GNU Smalltalk ?

From: Bonzini Paolo
Subject: FW: [Help-smalltalk] FW: A gtk browser for GNU Smalltalk ?
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:39:12 +0100

-----Original Message-----
From: Lukas Renggli [mailto:address@hidden
Sent: Fri 1/11/2008 2:18 PM
To: Bonzini Paolo

I think I can give some clarifications on these points. In general,
the goal of the initial version of OB is to reproduce the existing
Squeak browsers in a nice and extensible way. The main goal is not to
build different browsers. In the future this will certainly change.

> 1) you cannot select more than one category, class, protocol, method
>    -> moving, deleting severa 15 methods one by one is...not very
>    convenient

The OB extensions of David Röthlisberger allow multi-selection:

http://www.squeaksource.com/Hermion.html

> 4) I like to switch between hierarchy/category "in-place"
>    very convenient and hard to implement in OB.

The OB extensions of Roel Wuyts implement that:

http://www.squeaksource.com/DuoSystemBrowser.html

> 5) Sunit integration in style of "SUnit Too" -
>    when some class is selected, show additional widgets
>    (like run, run profiled, run errors, run failures)

There are many extensions that do exactly that. One of those is
OBTesting by Stefan Reichhart:

http://www.squeaksource.com/OBAddOns.html

> 6) Visual profiler integration. I want list in one pane
>    and tree widget in another pane. Hard to do. Juraj Kubelka
>    and me spent more than 3months to implement such feature
>    (still not finished) and we had to patch almost every part of
>    OB.

Juraj Kubelka did a tree column for the traits integration:

http://www.squeaksource.com/JKExperiments.html

> 7) Menus are hard to organize - you cannot specify the order of
>    menu items (I might be wrong, there were some changes in menu
>    stuff recently)

It is possible to order and group menus easily, as well as to create sub-menus.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli