Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk and unix integration..

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] GNU Smalltalk and unix integration..
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 14:49:15 +0100

Sean Allen wrote:

> On Jan 7, 2009, at 2:40 AM, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
>

>>> Ah, actually I missed two... both of which need to interact with the
>>> filesystem permission,
>>> in particular dealing with file owner and group. I cant find anything to
>>> do that.
>>
>> No, there is none. :-)  But it is a small patch that can make its way
>> into 3.1.1.  Wait a couple hours.
>
> That I can do. Even easier than doing it myself although, not as good
> for the learning.

Yes, I know -- sorry.  I would have helped you DIY for, say chmod.
However the API in this case was a little different between chmod(2) and
the Smalltalk classes (chmod wants uids/gids, not names), and I was
afraid you'd go through too many iterations or frustrations or both.

I also took the occasion to add another tiny feature, as I wrote in the
other message, namely an implementation of "chmod -R"/"chown -R"/"touch
-R" (the latter actually does not exist in coreutils).

You can look at the patch I sent, it only adds lines so it should be
easy to read.  If you want to summarize your findings in a blog post on
http://smalltalk.gnu.org/ or something like that, I'll be glad to read
it and comment it to aid your learning.

Thanks,