[Help-smalltalk] Monticello (was: Re: .st file naming)

From: Jan Vrany
Subject: [Help-smalltalk] Monticello (was: Re: .st file naming)
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 2015 17:16:28 +0100

On Tue, 2015-04-07 at 15:52 +0200, Holger Hans Peter Freyther wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 08:35:44AM +0100, Jan Vrany wrote:
>
> > Well, you can still have a Cypress reader/writer (which is a format of a
> > (git)filetree - https://github.com/CampSmalltalk/Cypress ) and
> > use it to import/export.
> > In my experience, as of today it's still much simpler just to port
> > monticello and read/save to monticello when one has to work
> > with Pharo/Squeak code.
>
> Yes, I started twice with porting Monticello and didn't
> complete it. Did you get further?

I ported Monticello once to Smalltalk/X
( http://cvs.smalltalk-x.de/stx/goodies/monticello/ )
This one is fully functional and I used it successfully when
importing/exporting code from/for Squeak / Pharo guys.
I did it by pair-programming with Dale who ported it to
GemStone/S, so he already knew all it's dark corners and
peculiarities.

> Did you start with Pharo
> or the Gemstone/S version?

With Pharo/Squeak version but Dale told me ehat to pick
and what to throw away as not necessary (was quite a lot of stuff!)

> What do you do with traits and
> other items we don't support yet?

In St/X an error is thrown when a trait is encountered.

> How to resolve a conflict
> when loading?

What sorts of conflicts?

Best, Jan