Re: [Help-smalltalk] .st file naming

From: Holger Hans Peter Freyther
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] .st file naming
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 19:17:28 +0200

On Fri, Apr 03, 2015 at 12:07:20PM +0100, Jan Vrany wrote:

Hi!

> Also this would make tool implementation a lot easier - for instance
> I'd like to be able to commit changes right from the browser.

yes, some of this appears to come from a time where 8.3 was
the rule for filenames.

The question is how far we want/can go. In Gemstone/S, Pharo
there is a push to "filetree". There a class is spread over
a directory hieracy. E.g. like this:

        ClassName.class/
                        instance/
                                fooSelector.st
                        class/
                                classSideSelector
                        meta informationen..

        Extension.extension/
                ..

now this is nice for automatic tools (e.g. move a method
is a move of a file). Even for "recording changes" it is
quite nice but the downside is that "git grep" and reading
a single class at a time is difficult.

do you have an idea on how to move forward?

holger