Re: Newbie question: texi2pdf complains about \n

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Newbie question: texi2pdf complains about \n
Date: 27 Oct 2000 11:07:18 +0200

Eli> Could you please also tell what you would *want* to work,
Eli> ideally?  Is it "@address@hidden"?

Eli> You see, I don't understand why did you need to use @macro,
Eli> unless this is because you couldn't find a single form that works
Eli> in all output formats.

Correct.  I want to use bold face when available, otherwise quote the
tokens, to match the existing conventions.

Eli> The problem is, @macro is implemented differently in TeX and
Eli> makeinfo, and so has different limitations.  So part of the
Eli> problem in your example is that you use @macro in the first
Eli> place...

Agreed.  But then OK, let's forget that there are difference between
TeX and makeinfo, and let's consider I always expand with makeinfo
before submitting the result to TeX.  Then I still need @address@hidden to
work properly, which does not happen.

/tmp % texi2dvi -b -e bnf.texi                                   nostromo 11:06
stdin:13: address@hidden example» non apparié.
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)

(/tmp/t2d4916/src/bnf.texi (texinfo.tex
tables, conditionals, indexing, sectioning, toc, environments, defuns, macros,
cross references, (/usr/share/texmf/tex/plain/dvips/epsf.tex) localization,
and turning on texinfo input format.) (bnf.aux) (Sample))
! Emergency stop.
<*> \nonstopmode \input /tmp/t2d4916/src/bnf.texi

No pages of output.
Transcript written on bnf.log.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: tex exited with bad status, quitting.
/usr/bin/texi2dvi: see bnf.log for errors.