Re: [help-texinfo] Changing background color of the 'verbatim' environme

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Changing background color of the 'verbatim' environment
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 10:40:31 +0200

() address@hidden (Karl Berry)
() Wed, 12 Sep 2012 22:01:34 GMT

   Breaking @cartouche over pages is TeXnically possible.  So is
   supporting background colors for @example / @verbatim.  It's just
   that I personally am never going to work on either one -- way too
   much effort for way too little return.  Of course, I'd happily accept
   clean patches for them.

Another approach is to define a syntax to associate key/value pairs w/
any particular environment.  This could map to ‘class’ attributes for
HTML output, and would anyway be available to the (S)XML output for
further processing.  Something like:

  @example (bg "dark blue"  fg "fireengine red"
               phase-of-the-moon
               "one, or \"more\" (depending)"
            texi:id "the first @example example")
  @end example

  @verbatim (texi:inherit "the first @example example")
  @end verbatim

IOW, keys are symbols, values are strings, elements are separated by
whitespace, and the lot is enclosed in parentheses -- classic "plist".
Info output can simply ignore that noise (or not).  Some of the keys
could be reserved for special handling, such as those whose names begin
with "texi:".

Yeah, i know this is getting ugly real fast, but figure (sometimes) some
beauty can be achieved by confining ugly and ignoring it.
--
Thien-Thi Nguyen ..................................... GPG key: 4C807502
.                  NB: ttn at glug dot org is not me                   .