Re: [help-texinfo] Changing background color of the 'verbatim' environme

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: [help-texinfo] Changing background color of the 'verbatim' environment
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2012 20:07:47 +0200

() Jason Massey <address@hidden>
() Thu, 13 Sep 2012 09:48:58 -0400

   [the horror the horror]

Yeah, XML is suboptimal.  SXML is slightly better, but still rotten.

   *So, I guess what I am saying is that I hope that Texinfo does not
   meander into XML-verbosity.* Actually, I'm begging that it does not.

I agree completely; the suggestion was made w/ a strict anti-meandering
mindset.  The idea is to allow "pass-through specification", reserving
the fewest special-handling specifications (w/ semantic perturbations)
possible.  Essentially, makeinfo says, "You want to express your style?
Fine, no skin off my nose.  I'll let the downstream renderer know.  If
your specs confuse the downstream renderer, don't complain to me!  Don't
GI if you don't want GO!"  (See <http://foldoc.org/GIGO>.)

Re verbosity, you can hardly get simpler than a Lisp plist.  But that's
besides the point (which is explained above).

The document model already includes nodes w/ certain attributes (name,
depth, relation to other nodes in the graph).  The suggestion was to add
pass-through attribute specification to environments, but the same idea
could also be applied to the nodes (w/ strict anti-meandering mindset)
themselves.

The sooner makeinfo supports uniform pass-through specification, the
sooner it can remove itself from the style-wishlist treadmill.
--
Thien-Thi Nguyen ..................................... GPG key: 4C807502