iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth: CVS update (noteon and noteoff)

From: M. Nentwig
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] iiwusynth: CVS update (noteon and noteoff)
Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 08:32:55 +0300

Hello,

The motivation for the change was a stuck-note-problem I'm getting with
one particular keyboard (I'm quite sure that it's related to a 'sticky'
key contact, it seems to forget to send note-offs now and then on one
particular key). The problem is that with the old noteoff algorithm
there is absolutely no way to turn off a stuck key short of sending 'all
notes off' (or unplugging the MIDI connector, pushing the key, plugging
it in again, releasing the key).
The new noteoff implementation will turn off all voice processes
regardless of the ID, so simply retriggering the stuck key will release
both voices.

Now to me, the situation looks like this:
- A properly working keyboard will never transmit more than one noteon
without corresponding noteoff for each channel / keynumber.
- Same with a correct MIDI file (my guess, without any specs to refer
to), for the same reason: it's unphysical to hit the same key twice
without releasing it.
So in an ideal world, it wouldn't make a difference.
- However, stuck notes (for whatever reason) happen, and in my opinion a
foolproof 'stuck note' handling is very important. On stage, hanging
notes are a major embarassment (I had one, with an organ sound, and I
still remember it clearly after five or six years. The stuck-note
handling of my home-built MIDI router was not foolproof :-)

Now we could make the choice of the noteoff algorithm an option, and
leave the decision to the user. Maybe we'll have to, if the old
implementation is needed for some reason (or if the specs actually say
so). I still don't like the idea; in my opinion a MIDI data stream with
two noteons in a row is faulty, and we should handle that as safely as
possible.

Regards

Markus