iiwusynth-devel

Re: [iiwusynth-devel] License Alsa audio driver

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: Re: [iiwusynth-devel] License Alsa audio driver
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 12:25:51 +0100

Bob Ham wrote:
On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 14:03, Peter Hanappe wrote:

en tout cas, i have some tested skeleton C code derived from my C++
for memory-mapped alsa PCM that i can offer as a base for a LGPL
driver.

I started using the pcm.c example that comes with Alsa lib. The example
seems to be in public domain, so there shouldn't be any license
concerns. I use the memory mapped IO functions so the driver should
have less overhead than the previous one.

Unfortunately, if it doesn't say "this is released to the public domain"
or whatever, you unfortunately have to assume that it's not in the
public domain and the author's copyrights are still exercised.  Why do
you say it seems to be?  Is there such a notice?

I tought that if the author doesn't claim the copyright, it's in the
public domain. And getting copyright protection is trivial, just write
'copyright <name>' on the document. I could be wrong, though.

To avoid problems, maybe it's better if I start from your skeleton code.

Bob