iiwusynth-devel

[iiwusynth-devel] License Alsa audio driver

From: Peter Hanappe
Subject: [iiwusynth-devel] License Alsa audio driver
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 13:23:14 +0100

Hi all,

We have a licensing problem. The code from the alsa audio driver is
derived from jMax's alsaaudioport.c that in turn is derived from Paul
Davis' ALSA driver. I wrote Paul Davis twice asking him if it's okay
to release it under the LGPL instead of GPL. So far he hasn't
answered me. In his tutorial on using the ALSA API, he write:

  "All code in the document is licensed under the GNU Public
   License. If you plan to write software using ALSA under some other
   license, then I suggest you find some other documentation. "

I guess that means "no" for LGPL. I searched the web for LGPL'ed code
for the alsa driver but didn't find any. I guess this means I will
rewrite the alsa audio driver code from scratch under the LGPL
license. Kind of strange since I know the current code well. Any other
suggestions are welcome.

Cheers