koha-devel

[Koha-devel] FAQ

From: Nicholas Stephen Rosasco
Subject: [Koha-devel] FAQ
Date: Tue Oct 23 08:59:06 2001

I know I've been... not contributing anything for quite awhile (a few
pesky and inconvenient problems associated with finishing my degree, my
apologies to everyone).

I was going to start working on the FAQ which has been on the list for me
at Sourceforge for quite awhile.... since it is intended for the user
community, I was going to get submissions from them as to what it should
include.

Thoughts?  Objections?  Other requests?
The quicky links page I threw together is still there at
http://www.people.virginia.edu/~nsr4n/Koha if anyone
needs it for anything?

Randomly, the test drive option at Koha.org may have a problem in
http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/catalogue/ has a link ("acquisitions") to
http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/catalogue/acquisitions, which doesn't exist.

In case you hadn't heard, the OpenBook people are in a "technical
beta", but warn users that the database (and anything else) may be
unusable in future versions... assuming you're interest in the status of
the Koha "offspring."

I have a collection of small libraries at my institution interested in
using Koha, but they all want to know if there is some form for easy entry
of data -- they all would be using volunteer labor to manually key in a
fair amount of their collection information (probably from old style card
catalogs) and really would like as-simple-as-possible forms for that.  I
see the order/receive forms, but don't see (forgive my missing it if it is
there, I've not played with the acquire setup in a loooong time) a form to
manually create items.

The ability key in an ISBN and have a lookup (say at some National Library
MARC/Z39.50) server is there.  I know the MARC project is going along well
-- what are the chances of them being able to do that (instead of typing
in complete records) soon?

I was considering trying to pitch in on that over this past summer, but
was... daunted... by the scope of the MARC format.

Thanks, apologies for the rambling length of this,
Nick