koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] FAQ

From: Chris Cormack
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] FAQ
Date: Mon Oct 29 12:35:03 2001

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 11:57:44AM -0400, Nicholas Stephen Rosasco said:
> I know I've been... not contributing anything for quite awhile (a few
> pesky and inconvenient problems associated with finishing my degree, my
> apologies to everyone).

No need to apologise :-)

> I was going to start working on the FAQ which has been on the list for me
> at Sourceforge for quite awhile.... since it is intended for the user
> community, I was going to get submissions from them as to what it should
> include.
>
> Thoughts?  Objections?  Other requests?

Yep perhaps a request on the main list would be the best way to start, plus
a read back thru the list archives to see what questions have been asked and
answered.

> Randomly, the test drive option at Koha.org may have a problem in
> http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/catalogue/ has a link ("acquisitions") to
> http://hlt.katipo.co.nz/catalogue/acquisitions, which doesn't exist.

Ahh ill fix that up, good spotting.

> I have a collection of small libraries at my institution interested in
> using Koha, but they all want to know if there is some form for easy entry
> of data -- they all would be using volunteer labor to manually key in a
> fair amount of their collection information (probably from old style card
> catalogs) and really would like as-simple-as-possible forms for that.  I
> see the order/receive forms, but don't see (forgive my missing it if it is
> there, I've not played with the acquire setup in a loooong time) a form to
> manually create items.
>
> The ability key in an ISBN and have a lookup (say at some National Library
> MARC/Z39.50) server is there.  I know the MARC project is going along well
> -- what are the chances of them being able to do that (instead of typing
> in complete records) soon?
>
> I was considering trying to pitch in on that over this past summer, but
> was... daunted... by the scope of the MARC format.

I think Steve has gotten something like this going ... I think he has
managed to do some z39.50 importing already??

Chris

025 500 789                                        Katipo Communications Ltd
address@hidden                                          www.katipo.co.nz