koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Getting rid of z3950 daemons

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Getting rid of z3950 daemons
Date: Mon Sep 29 00:27:04 2003

MJ Ray wrote:

Why is the z3950 daemon needed?

The initial author of the daemon is steve tonnessen.
How it works ?
* the daemon looks at the z3950queue table. If he finds a row that hasn't been spawned into z3950results, he spawns it. * the daemon looks at the z3950results table. If he finds a row that has not been "forked", he forks. In the new process, he calls the z3950server, and when he get answers, he saves them in the marc_breeding table (this being my contribution)

there is an annoying bug in the spawn process : if the server name has spaces, he is divided in X differents server calls, which all fails.

What steps are needed to get rid of it?

imho, it's mandatory, as z3950 may be very slow, so we need to have asynchronous requests.

Is it possible to run one per server instead of one per koha installation?

The daemon use koha.conf file to find DB, user & password. I don't know how to change this behaviour & have more than 1 .conf file.

--
Paul POULAIN