koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] www.koha-fr.org, new look

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] www.koha-fr.org, new look
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 09:37:39 +0100

Russel Garlick a écrit :
I think we need to make it clear that Koha is the product of a project and is *not* what appears to be a company or other entity. So following this train of though the Koha template should not be used by individual companies to promote their own services. There are no Koha franchises or official Koha regions given to individual companies to exploit.

I was under the impression that Paul and Henri were taking the content of the koha.org site, which is all in English. And translating it into French to make it more accessible for this audience. I welcome any attempt to make the Koha message avaible in different languages and more accessible. If anyone wants to take the content of the site and translate it into any other language, great! lets talk :-)

I 100% agree with you. "Local sites" should be seen as "language-localized site" and nothing else.

I explain what we tried to do with koha-fr.org :
* At the very beginning I had a fr.koha.org, with katipo tools, on katipo server. The problem being that, travelling the world for every request was really slow. so I decided to go to koha-fr.org, with a server physically in france. * At 1st, it was a strict copy of koha.org (koha.org lists all companies supporting Koha commercially, i'm listed on koha.org as well as on koha-fr.org in fact ;-) ) * Then, I thought it could be a good place for some news. Thus we added a "what's new" corner. * Then, I got many questions from some (canadian) libraries. I answered all of them, and thought it could be interesting to put them public. What could be the best place ? koha-fr.org, of course. Thus, I added a "features" corner, with each module (acquisition, cataloguing, circulation...) being detailled, with a FAQ for each of them. * Finally, I was asked for some very specific tricks, and added a "Koha hints" corner (that has only a few pages, but I expect it will grow)

Now, I think we have a site that could last for some time. Henri-Damien and I can write on it, but also Daniel, from Canada (he wrote only 1 page iirc). Any other french volunteer can request a login to be a writter.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants