koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Next stable release (roadmap + question) (kados, read c

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Next stable release (roadmap + question) (kados, read carefully)
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 17:34:11 +0200

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
Hi all,

On Fri, Jun 02, 2006 at 05:45:11PM +0200, Paul POULAIN wrote:
I think we have almost solved the 2 main problems with rel_2_2 :

* encoding problems : joshua get rid of unicode ones & I get rid of the remaining iso-8859-1 one. I made something i'm not very proud of :

Joshua introduced a TemplateEncoding system preference that can be either iso8859-1 or utf8. If it is set to iso8859-1, there are a lot of encoding problems : MARC::File::XML don't like it, as MARC::Record is supposed to work in MARC8 or UNICODE.
However, Mike Rylander introduced a UNIMARC-handling feature in the latest
version of MARC::File::XML (on SF) that will not attempt to convert to/from
MARC8. I urge you to attempt this solution, as I belive the XML parsers
shouldn't have any trouble dealing with 8859 encoded data.

I installed MARC-XML v0.83 from CPAN, and have the problem. Should I try the CVS version ?

Thus, it seems that all accents are transformed in the process html => xml => marc. Thus, i've reintroduced the html => marc behaviour if the TemplateEncoding is set to iso8859-1 (i've fixed the html2marc as joshua proposed previously, fixing a remaining bug)
There were several bugs, which did you fix?:
* saves blank subfields
* subfield order is hardcoded to always start with 'a' for repeatable tags
(because it is hardcoded in the addfield routine).
* only possible to specify one set of indicators for each set of tags (ie, one
for all the 650s). (because they are stored in a hash with the tag as the key).
* the underlying routines don't support subfield reordering or subfield
repeatability.

I Just call html2marc (the one you fixed before switching to html2xml) instead of html2xml then xml2marc

It seems to work fine for me.

* MARC editor, cloneTag problem :
when duplicating a tag, there was 2 problems :
- the mandatory flags where no more properly affected. I solved this problem by moving color change on Check to the field itself, not to error$i container. Error$i container is now useless and removed. I also changed active color to grey, yellow being for mandatory fields. - when you duplicate a field with an authority, the value is still reported to the 1st field. When you duplicate the 1st authority, the container name is set to index+index, so you get 2 "indexindex" containers. I still have to solve this problem, but that should not bee too hard I think.
Kados : I didn't modified NPL templates, I let you do this.
OK, let me know when you've found a solution and either Owen or
I will update NPL ... thanks!

OK, i'll let you know for sure.

Since rel_2_2 doesn't really have any
_new features_, just bug fixes (I know we disagree on this point),

yes ;-)

I think
it should be released as 2.2.6. However, I wouldn't mind seeing a 2.2.5
version (unstable) release beforehand just to give some folks time to
find bugs and us time to fix them before the official 'stable' release.
Anyway, for what it's worth, that's my opinion. We can certainly discuss
it more on Monday.

Sounds a good plan to me : what I want to avoid is having a stable release that is unstable. So I would probably release a 2.2.6RC1 or something like that, that i'll install to one of my libraries.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants