koha-devel

[Koha-devel] MARC Editor in 'stable' CVS Badly Broken

From: Joshua Ferraro
Subject: [Koha-devel] MARC Editor in 'stable' CVS Badly Broken
Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 16:09:35 -0700

Hi Paul et al,

This morning I updated my working "stable" CVS repo to take a look
at the recent MARC editor commits and I discovered that things are
very badly broken:

* repeated fields are not saved separately, but under one field
        eg, 650$a$b$c 650$a$b$c becomes 650$a$a$b$b$c$c!!
        (you will not see this bug unless you have 'LabelMARCView' set
        to 'standard')

* repeating fixed fields in a previously saved record causes a 500 error
* tabindex is broken
* the back button is broken such that if you save something then go
        back your repeated 650 jumps into the 651!!
* editing a record sometimes causes fields to show up in the right
        place, but be saved in the wrong place

After 6 hours of attempting to track down the cause of these and other
bugs I didn't take notes on, I have given up. I'd like to request that
we revert the stable CVS MARC editor to the previously working
versions:

Biblio.pm 1.115.2.54
addbiblio.pl 1.52.2.40
addbiblio.tmpl (not sure, many unrelated changes committed at the
same time)

I will repeat that MARC::File::XML can handle iso-8859-1 encoding
if you specify that you're working with non-MARC21 data (and if
you have 8859 encoding, you don't have MARC21 data) IF YOUR
XML PARSER CAN HANDLE 8859 ENCODING. Someone with non-MARC21 data
should take a look at the latest Sourceforge version of
MARC::File::XML to see how this is handled and modify Koha's editor
accordingly (I may have a chance to do this at some point, but I'm
a bit burned out on this at the moment).

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro               VENDOR SERVICES FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
address@hidden |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS