koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] The future of the prog templates

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] The future of the prog templates
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 15:38:29 +0100

Owen Leonard a écrit :
What does everyone think?

My opinion is :
- we have 2 different templates design for librarian interface in Koha 2.2, and IT'S A PAIN (yes, I cry !) We MUST avoid at all cost the need of more than 1 template in rel_3_0 !!! For OPAC, it's not so critic, as there are "only" 15 templates or so. but I think it could be a good thing to have only 1 set of templates for OPAC.

- I've added a include_dir systempreference in cvs that let the library define it's own includes directory content. the includes directory contains all CSS, but also all templates headers, menus & footers. That introduces a 2nd level of customization (css only being the 1st one).

- I think http://www.tjkdesign.com/articles/3cols.asp is close from what we have now (and comes 80% from npl templates) : we have a menu level (=header, on the left by default for PROG), a module menu level (= sidebar, on the top by default for PROG), an action level, for all actions we can do on a page (= left, on the top by default for PROG). I even have added some options in the CSS to show how to move the action bar to the right in just a CSS modif.

- The coding guidelines says that every div should have a unique ID (even if I know it's not 100% followed)

So my opinion is that PROG templates will be the default one for 3.0 (it is already, as all default templates have been removed ;-) ) AND we can continue improving them, knowing that we already have a strong & customizable basis.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants