koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] new feature : catalogue browsing

From: Paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] new feature : catalogue browsing
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 17:25:16 +0100

Serhij Dubyk Сергій Дубик a écrit :
very nice & usefull feature

Paul POULAIN-2 wrote:
I've just commited a new feature, called "catalogue browsing".
A new script in misc/cronjobs/build_browser_and_cloud.pl will fill 2 new tables. It should be easy to add english dewey, Loc classification or any other hierarchic classification.

It is planning to include it in near future version of Koha?
In which initial data format need to be prepared such classification?
In our country widelly used UDC and BBK clasifications.

Hi Serhij,

It will be in 3.0 (and can be activated or not, depending on a systempreference) It relies on a script that builg the "browse tree" by loading the catalogue and filling a specific table.
The script can easily be modified to use whatever you want as tree branches.
I did it for dewey, but it's virtually possible to do it for any classification, even a local one. For example, if you want to build a very complex "tree" you can (for example : leaf X => items with barcode <100 000, leaf XB => items with barcode <100 000 and branch=B, leaf XB1 => items with barcode <100 000 and branch=B and callnumber start by 1) ...

I agree that this feature can still be improved to be more user friendly : atm, it requires quite to hack the script that builds the tree, nothing less, nothing more.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants