koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] rebuild_zebra_idx.pl

From: Mason James
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] rebuild_zebra_idx.pl
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 12:21:22 +1300

On 2007/11/13, at 8:15 AM, Joshua Ferraro wrote:

On 11/12/07, Galen Charlton <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

On 11/12/07, Paul POULAIN <address@hidden> wrote:
i've seen a fix on rebuil_zebra_idx.pl

In fact, last week I was about to remove it, as it's replaced by
rebuild_zebra.pl that does much more things :
1- create zebra files *if needed* (ie : they don't exist already)
2- export datas biblio & authority (or only one)
3- run zebraidx
4- keep the export for a future use.

where rebuild_zebra_idx does only the export for biblios.

After looking at the two, I would agree that rebuild_zebra_idx is
redundant, but only after rebuild_zebra is tweaked so that it has an
option to *only* export the bibs or authorities.
I guess from my POV, I don't know what the purpose of rebuild_zebra.idx is. It seems like a helper script for a non-standard installation, not the kind of utility you'd normally run. The Makefile installer should be all we
need to install the zebra components of Koha.

I'm in favor of a light-weight script that does export/index of records
like we have in dev_week with update_items.pl. It's always useful to
be able to just re-index the whole dataset. That's what I thought
rebuild_zerba_idx.pl was the start of.

I think it doesnt hurt to leave rebuild_zebra_idx.pl in the repo, for instructional purposes alone

perhaps put a comment in rebuild_zebra_idx.pl suggesting people look, and use rebuild_zebra.pl for most cases

sound ok?