koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] do we really want postgres support NOW ?

From: Andrew Seguin
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] do we really want postgres support NOW ?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 15:02:37 +0100 (CET)

Hello all,

>> But do we want it now ?
>
> Supporting PostgreSQL now seems very important right now. While Koha 3.0
> introduces great new features, I think most libraries and interested
> people are doing well with 2.2 ATM, so maybe 3.0 can be delayed a little
> while in order to release it with Pg support, which will be a big
> breakthrough, I think.
>
> Just two cents,
> Jose

Haven't done any devel in Koha itself, but being both a developer and a
systems administrator, I've been monitoring this list (as well as the
general user list) to be well informed and that I can support a library
migrating from a card catalog (over 50,000 books) to Koha (I support the
school in IT in general, library is just one of our projects).
Introduction over, to the point.

At our end, we are using 2.2.8 (recently moved over to 2.2.9) to get
comfortable with the system and start the cataloging but are looking at
3.0 with much interest (not counting such upgrades always sound good to a
board of directors).

So in our case, zebra will be our back-end. Is there truly such a big
interest in PostgreSQL over MySQL compared to Zebra over MySQL?
Then again, that's only at my end... just thought I'd voice my opinion and
it can be taken as just my one cent ;)

BR,

Andrew Séguin