koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Re: [Koha-devel] Time estimate for the translation of k

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: [Koha-translate] Re: [Koha-devel] Time estimate for the translation of koha
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:48:32 +0200

Joshua M. Ferraro skrev:
Hi Axel,

Welcome to the Koha community, and thanks for your interest in
translating Koha into norwegian bokmål, we'd love to support your
effort in any way possible.

As you point out, there are several methods and sources for translating
Koha. The majority of the work involves generating and translating
a POT file for the interface (OPAC vs Staff) and the version of Koha
that you're wanting to translate (2.2.8 vs 2.2.9 vs 3.0) and finally
the template/theme (in 2.2 series, there are two public themes,
default and npl).

Translations of Koha between minor version releases don't have many
changes, there would only be at most a few new strings or changes to
strings. So a translation of 2.2.8 will _mostly_ work for 2.2.9.

The purpose of translate.koha.org is to simplify the process of maintenance of the POT files. To be sure, it could use a bit more
maintenance. We're currently lacking an official 'translation
manager' for the Koha project, but I do my best in my spare time
to verify and add translation requests to that site.

So ... the first thing to do is consider what version of Koha you
want to translate. If the 2.2.x version, you can add your translation
to translate.koha.org, or generate a POT file from 2.2.9 and translate
that. If for 3.0, the templates haven't been 100% signed off yet,
so it'd be best to wait until that happens before spending too much
time translating a POT file from that code base.

Note also, I've cced this to koha-translate, a list dedicated to
dealing with translation issues for Koha:

Thanks again for your interest. Let us know if we can be of any
help.

Thank you for your kind answer.
What I am still missing though is the exact amount of work needed (at least the amount of strings included) to perform a full norwegian translation. I need this to give a good estimate on how much money and time I will have to ask for for this work.

Could someone please answer which of the mentioned files are neeeded?
(see my other posting on this subject for details).
I will forward my first post also to the translation list, but since I am new to this I will, for now, write to both lists. Please protest if this is not the best way :-P

Best regards
Axel Bojer