koha-translate

[Koha-translate] Re: [Koha-devel] Time estimate for the translation of k

From: Axel Bojer
Subject: [Koha-translate] Re: [Koha-devel] Time estimate for the translation of koha
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:50:57 +0200

Joshua M. Ferraro skrev:
Hi Axel,
(...)
opac is the OPAC interface, and intranet is the Staff one. The Staff
interface is larger because there are many more pages and lots more
text to translate.

Ok, so no more themes than this two are needed for 2.2.9?
(The others are then optional, right?)

(...)
We're pretty close to a release of 3.0, though in the next month or so
there will be at least some changes to the HTML markup which will affect
translation. The 3.0 markup represents a fairly drastic change from the
2.2 series so I'm afraid that translations of 2.2.x won't be that useful.

Ok, I think thats settles it prretty much: 3.0 would be the best choice for us. We are not in a hurry :-)

The good news is that there is only one theme in 3.0, and we intend to
keep it that way for the 'official' project templates. This means that
you'll only have two POT files to contend with, one for the OPAC and
one for the Staff client. If you're not in a super hurry, I'd recommend
waiting a bit until 3.0's templates are stabilized ... once that happens
I'll be posting widely about it and updating translate.koha.org with the
new POT files so folks can start translating Koha 3.0 into their
language(s).

Seems to me like a good idea (I still don't grasp why there are other strings in different themes though, must be another set of funcionality in them then?)

There's another, separate issue not mentioned yet, which is translation
of the MARC frameworks, including authorities control and bibliographic
entries (essentially, these are labels of the MARC tags and subtags that
a cataloger uses). That adds about 1,500 additional lines.

What is the purpose of these strings and do everyone need them, or is this kore for special needs?

The purpose of translate.koha.org is to simplify the process of maintenance of the POT files. To be sure, it could use a bit more
maintenance. We're currently lacking an official 'translation
manager' for the Koha project, but I do my best in my spare time
to verify and add translation requests to that site.
Could you then add all the needed files for the norwegian translation? I have started on the one I found there, just to have a glimpse on it
and to see what awaits us :-)
The 2.2.x templates have about 5,000 lines IIRC. I'm happy to add an
entry for 2.2.9 to translate.koha.org. I'll also see about getting you
copies of the MARC bibliographic and authorities frameworks. Do you know
whether UNIMARC or MARC21 is preferred?

5.000?
Kbabel counted css_opac.pot to 472 strings and default_intranet.pot to 2576, this makes about 3.000. What am I missing here?

(...)
BTW: Would'nt it be less work and make it easier for translators too to include the questions I have asked and their answers somewehere on the
web page, for instance on:
http://translate.koha.org/use.php?lg=en
or
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=howtotranslatekoha
(that is almost empty now)
or
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php

Then newcomers would not have to wonder, for long that is, about the same as me :-)
It sure would be a good idea, can I take that to mean you'd be willing to
compose an add such an explanation given the appropriate access? ;-)

I won't make any bones about it, due to time constraints, I'm a lousy
translation manager ... I'd be happy to hand the job over to someone
who's got available time/resources to devote to the job.

I am sorry to say I do not have this time either. But I shall try to put down our conclusions from this thread if you will grant me access and point me to the appropriate place for it.
How do you find
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=howtotranslatekoha
(almost empty now)?

Best regards