librefm-discuss

Re: [Librefm-discuss] New Here - Have Some Questions

From: Mike Sheldon
Subject: Re: [Librefm-discuss] New Here - Have Some Questions
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 02:09:30 +0000

Hi Darryl,

On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 17:42 -0800, Darryl G. Wright wrote:
> 1) Why doesn't the Android implementation of Libre.fm support Libre.fm
> scrobbling?

 The LibreDroid client (which I assume is what you're referring to) is a
radio streaming client, it does support scrobbling, but only of the
things you listen to on the radio stream it doesn't attempt to interact
with the overall Android Media Player to track what you listen to in
that.

> 2) I was unable to find any documentation on the libre.fm API or how I
> might go about writing my own scrobbler for libre.fm - where is it?

Libre.fm is designed to be API compatible with Last.fm, so in general
you can just write a last.fm client and point it at our servers and it
should work. One caveat to this however is that we don't currently
support the 2.0 scrobbling protocol, so you need to code to the either
the 1.1, 1.2 or 1.2.1 standard:

http://www.audioscrobbler.net/development/protocol/

> 3) Activity on a lot of the libre.fm sites seems to have gone stale -
> is this project dead?

The amount of time each of us has available varies throughout the year,
so some months have a lot of activity and other months have very little.

> 4) Can someone point me to a "How to implement Libre.fm scrobbling in
> your client" doc?

Simply implement the audioscrobbler protocol version 1.2 and point your
client at turtle.libre.fm. For web-service methods (documented at
http://last.fm/api) point your client at alpha.libre.fm/2.0/.

Cheers,
 Mike.