libreplanet-ca-on

Re: [lp-ca-on] Starting phase #1

From: Blaise Alleyne
Subject: Re: [lp-ca-on] Starting phase #1
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2014 11:16:23 -0400

On 24/09/14 10:53 AM, Rudolf wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Blaise Alleyne <address@hidden> wrote:
>> [...] registering our own domain might be a good idea. How about
>> libreplaneton.ca?
>>
>> (libreplanet.ca is also available... I wouldn't want to be presumptuous and
>> pretend to be all of Canada, but at the same time it could be a useful
>> domain...
>> even if we just put a link to libreplaneton.ca from libreplanet.ca, and then
>> any other Canadian LP groups, now or in the future?)
>>
>> I can register the domain name if you want. I use Hover.com as my domain name
>> registrar. But I don't mind if you are using another domain name registrar
>> already. (Not sure if they'll all allow you to register .ca though.)
>>

> We could use libreplanet.ca and then have a sub-dir for each province.

I like that idea!

So, libreplanet.ca/ontario/ for us. And for any other groups, we could
potentially offer them simple static HTML pages, otherwise a redirect to their
own domain names?

Though, I don't want to presume that Sergio would want to host all Canadian
groups, but there aren't very many right now (just Quebec?):
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Teams#Canada

A redirect would be an easy alternative to hosting too, e.g.
libreplanet.ca/quebec/ redirects to whatever they're using now?

> It might also be possible to grab libreplanet.on.ca but I'm not sure
> how useful that is.

Ah, CIRA stopped accepting third-level registrations in 2010:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ca#Third-level_.28provincial.29_and_fourth-level_.28municipal.29_domains

"CIRA stopped accepting new registrations for third-level domains on October 12,
2010 citing complexity and the low number of new third domain registration as
the reason for the change."