libreplanet-dev

RE: Coming soon: A new site for fully free collaboration

From: Alexandru-Sergiu Marton
Subject: RE: Coming soon: A new site for fully free collaboration
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 22:28:31 +0200

Hi all,

I want to comment on the "ongoing analysis" that's being done regarding the new collaboration platform. For Sourcehut, you listed

No Web merge request UI. A Web merge request can be done by
creating a ticket and including the forked git repo url and branch
name, but this missing feature seems like a key thing we are looking for.

as a bad thing. Let's discuss the "forking" and "merge request" ideas a little further.

Following the canonical GitHub model, a fork represents a copy of a repository from one user/organization to another user's/organization's account. Notice that it is essential that the forker has an account on the platform the process is done, otherwise this wouldn't work.

Forcing people to have an account on your code hosting platform for basic things like filing a bug report/feature request or sending patches doesn't benefit the users at all. It ties all of their actions to a specific workflow, basically locking them in. Compare these two workflows:

1) I want to fix a stack overflow bug in a Rust project hosted on GitHub. The actions I need to take are, in order: log in, fork, clone the fork locally, make the changes, commit, push, go back to the web UI, figure out how the hell the pull request interface works, send a pull request and wait for response.

2) I want to add a package to GNU Guix. I go to their Savannah page to find the link I need to clone. No account required. I clone the repo, make the changes, commit, `git format-patch` and send an email with the patch either in the email body or as an attachement to address@hidden and wait for response.

The most distributed and inclusive method is the second. That way, anyone who has an email account (and anyone has those, including the people that use the first workflow) can send in their contributions. It makes the whole process feel more personal also. There isn't a single step where you're required to use some overly specific tooling -- you write the code however you want, generate the patches however you want and send them however you want, as long as it reaches the maintainers.

But what if, in any of those two cases presented above, I would have to revise my contribution -- maybe I made a typo or I created a WIP thread and I'm now sending more progress.

1) I continue making changes to my fork, and the pull request follows whatever branch I set it to look at so it automatically updates with the latest commits when I push them. I don't know how one would gracefully handle amending the last commit with a PR system though.

2) I continue making changes to my local repository and commit them. When done, I send more emails, one per patch, to the already opened thread. If I want to revise my first patch, I can easily amend that commit in my local repository and send a second, improved version of the first patch without thinking about having to use --force.

One of the common so called "counter-arguments" to proposing email-based collaboration is "but email is antiquated". Email is indeed something that's been around for a long time, yet that doesn't make it bad. It encourages sending thoughtful messages, rather than short replies that lack important information. Furthermore, most people already have have an email address and, if not, it's very easy to obtain one -- from whatever provider you want.

We should keep in mind that we shouldn't be adopting the GitHub model just because that's what most people are familiar with. We should search for the best platform, not the most familiar. I am aware that email-based collaboration is alien to a big part of the people working in tech, but that doesn't mean it's bad or worse than the alternatives. In my opinion, it's the best thing we have yet. Simple, efficient, decentralized.

If anyone says that it's hard because they're not used to it, we shouldn't drop the idea. Instead, we should create better documentation, tutorials and guides to support people coming from the GitHub model or people that are totally new to contributing to free software projects.

If anyone reading this is interested in a taste of collaboration by email for git-based projects, check out this cool guide for using git send-email: https://git-send-email.io/

Note that the fact that I'm pushing for "email-based" collaboration makes this look more shallow than it is. If I know a maintainer I can drop him patches as letters to his door if I want to. I really need to stress out the fact that git patches can be sent exactly however you want -- they're just text.

Another reason to like patches is the fact that they can live outside the "official" project, too. Look at the suckless software -- st (simple terminal) doesn't include the ability to have transparency by default, yet they distribute a patch that, when applied, can make it go transparent.

I think everyone can agree that a clear git history is important for projects of any sizes. Unlike merge/pull requests, applied patches don't pollute your git history -- each patch is a commit, as it was in the patch-sender's tree, and that's it.

I remember a discussion about pull requests vs patches where someone said: "Let git do its job. No need for pull requests." I totally agree.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this, especially about why "this missing feature seems like a key thing we are looking for".

Cheers,
Alexandru-Sergiu Marton