libreplanet-dev

Re: Coming soon: A new site for fully free collaboration

From: Ian Kelling
Subject: Re: Coming soon: A new site for fully free collaboration
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2020 18:54:02 -0500

Drew DeVault <address@hidden> writes:

> [ Disclaimer: I am affliated with SourceHut. ]
>
> No one was born with knowledge of how to use GitHub. As someone who
> frequently uses both GitHub and email, noobs are no stranger to either
> platform. Many of us just don't remember very well our first few crappy
> GitHub pull requests, from before we really understood the workflow.
>
> If you appeal to popularity as the ultimate decider, then novel
> approaches can never succeed.  It's a defeatist attitude, and I reject
> it outright.

Hey, thanks for posting.

I think we didn't properly characterize the email thing well on the
evaluation page and I've updated it. sr.ht has made things way easier
than a plain mailman list and I don't think it would stop us from
choosing it. Its listed as a pro and a con, and depending on your
perspective is how it balances.

The lack of linking between repo and lists and bugs is was listed as an
issue in our review already, and I think thats a bigger issue. If there
was some improvement around this, even if its not the final state, that
would be a huge reason to consider it more highly. For example, if I go
to a repo, its unclear how to file a bug for it. I created a new repo
for a new project, its unclear you generally want to create a list and a
bug tracker with the same name. Those kinds of things.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7  DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF