Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2012 12:39:20 -0600

Fabian Rodriguez wrote:
> using a commercial service where free open
> source software is behind all the infrastructure

Even if the network service provider uses 100%
Free Software, you are still at their mercy when
it comes to whether they read your emails and
use that data to target advertisements to you,
and whether they release your emails to the
government, and whether they generally just
spy on you and subjugate you in various ways.

We can solve this problem by learning how to
share the hardware needed to host that software.

Once we understand how to share hardware for
hosting software, we can create truly Free as in
Freedom services for all the 'cloud' computing
that will become extremely popular over the
coming years.

If we deny this importance, and intend to stay in
our individual caves as the cloud providers and
ISPs and cell-phone network owners harm us in
various ways to their benefit, then we will become
less and less relevant as the hardware owners
grow in strength and viciousness.

This fundamental problem is considered to be of
so little value that I cannot find a single person
willing to work toward a solution.

Instead I am told it is off-topic - as though software
can exist without hardware!