Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why I consider cloud-dependent packages as non

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Why I consider cloud-dependent packages as non-free software ?
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 00:22:26 +0100

Il giorno lunedì 03/12/2012 21:06:03 CET
Alexey Eromenko <al4321@gmail.com> ha scritto:

> >Unfortunately, being a google doc, I cannot read it.
>
> Here I have uploaded an OpenDocument Text, attached, for those that
> can't read Google docs :)

Good :)

I have read it. And I mostly agree with you.

But, unfortunately, any software which might have a role in "cloud" services
(both server-side or client-side) could be "good" or "bad" depending from
those people who run the service.

Also the "people on the deserted island" test seems to me not really useful at
the end. Think about a devil corporation who say they are providing a "social"
cloud-based service using only free software (say it is released under the
AGPL) and respecting your privacy; more, they let you download the source code
of this software and you can verify it is free and it pass the "people on the
deserted island"... But... How can you check if the software they are running
is the same they let you dowload? How can you check how they are really using
your personal data? How can you check if they are -or not- tracking, profiling
etc. you and people related to you? You cannot.

Our freedom is something which involves much more than the free vs non-free
software discussion (which is a small discussion about some *rights*, NOT about
people's freedom)!

So, this is *not* a thecnical problem, neither is (only) a license issue or a
juridic/legal question. First of all, it should be considered at a
ethical/moral/social/political level!!! Any other aspect come after.
In all the cases (including, particularly, software services) people's
freedom needs awareness, needs no delegation, needs self-management and
self-organization.

Regards
al3xu5 / dotcommon
Support free software! Join FSF: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=7535
Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           1024D/11C70137
Fingerprint:  60F1 B550 3A95 7901 F410  D484 82E7 5377 11C7 0137
Key download: http://bitfreedom.noblogs.org/files/2010/08/dotcommon.asc
[ Please, DO NOT send my key to any keyserver! ]