Re: [libreplanet-discuss] My Analysis of Multimedia Codecs supported by

From: Fabian Rodriguez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] My Analysis of Multimedia Codecs supported by various portable MP3 & Vorbis players, including smart-phones
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 06:00:16 -0500

On 12-12-16 11:35 PM, Alexey Eromenko wrote:

Ok, I was able to download Google doc as Open Document Text, and upload it to my FTP server, right from my smartphone.

Link:
http://qumble.org/Downloads/Multimedia_Codecs_in_MP3_players.odt

Quite interesting and informative, thanks. I've noted a few things:
- The use of the term "pirated" is not exactly accurate in this context. I believe you meant "illegally downloaded". See:
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html
- If your initial information on the codecs comes from online/other source it'd be nice to cite them
- FLAC and Speex are missing, it would be nice to have the same information/comments about these too. These list mentions a few others that may be interesting to compare too (perhaps it's not complete):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_format#Multimedia
- It's Ogg, not OGG
- This list is audio-only codecs. Multimedia would include several others such as Ogg Theora.

Nice article, I'd encourage you to publish it on a blog or even on the Trisquel wiki for future reference/improvements, under a free license.

Cheers,

f.

--
Fabián Rodríguez