Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Reverse Engineering

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Reverse Engineering
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:50:16 -0500

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 18:21:43 +0000, arthur_torrey@comcast.net wrote:
> On the OSHWA, I don't see a conflict just because of the name.  As I said
> previously, I think that even Richard has said that 'Open Source' is a
> better term for hardware, since it isn't possible to replicate and
> distribute 'Free Hardware'.  The only thing that can be distributed at no
> cost to the distributing person is the design/build information which is as
> close to 'source code' as one can get...  Thus 'Open Source' is the correct
> term for hardware.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-hardware-designs.en.html

  The terms “open hardware” and “open source hardware” are used by some
  with the same concrete meaning as “free hardware,” but those terms
  downplay freedom as an issue. They were derived from the term “open
  source software,” which refers more or less to free software but
  without talking about freedom or presenting the issue as a matter of
  right or wrong. To underline the importance of freedom, we make a
  point of referring to freedom whenever it is pertinent; since “open”
  fails to do that, let's not substitute it for “free.”

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker | GNU Maintainer