Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 11:04:00 +0100

On 02/10/2016 08:54 PM, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:

> Also if we had a very good 2D/3D CAD libre software but missing a full DWG
> support, CAD users still would not use it.
> But having a full DWG support is really hard... I think quite impossible: DWG
> is closed and Autodesk change it often (i.e. to support new "feature" for its
> CAD programs) just, I think, to force users to pay for new releases and to
> avoid libre full DWG implementations.

Autodesk is doing the same for 3D modelling with the FBX format. They
are no better than Adobe (PSD), in this regard.

By the way, for people who know about CAD, I found out about BRL-CAD:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BRL-CAD

It was first released in 1984 (two years later than AutoCAD) and the
Tk-based interface is a bit dated but it was developed by the military
and it seems like it is very feature-complete.

Can someone with CAD skills try it? Perhaps we could focus efforts on
enhancing the interface of this one.

Also, while LibreDWG and most free CAD programs can't work together due
to license incompatibility, someone could just write a program like
Assimp that uses LibreDWG to convert DWG files to other formats.
Programs like FreeCAD could then call that program to import/export DWG
files, since I don't think calling GPLv3+ code externally is a violation.