Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 13:52:01 +0100

On 11/02/16 12:04, Fabio Pesari wrote:
> On 02/11/2016 11:13 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> As suggested in my earlier email, I feel the list should be reserved for
>> things that just about everybody needs to use.
>
> In general, I would agree, but those specific programs which haven't yet
> been replaced can be an obstacle to GNU/Linux adoption in general, and
> that can only lead to a chain effect.

Not quite - if we make GNU/Linux the best platform for general-purpose
use cases, some of those commercial vendors may be tempted to release
niche products like AutoCAD on GNU/Linux.

It already happens in some industries, I spent some time working for a
vendor of treasury software who originally developed for Solaris and AIX
and then decided to offer the customers the option to use Red Hat.

AutoCAD on GNU/Linux is not a 100% free solution: but in relative terms,
it would be better than AutoCAD on Windows 10 by a long shot.  It would
not stop motivated people from making a 100% free solution, just as the
existence of a Skype binary for GNU/Linux doesn't prevent people seeking
an alternative.

If Autodesk felt their support costs would be reduced and customer
experience improved or if they felt customers would use some of the
financial savings from ditching Microsoft to pay more for AutoCAD, they
would probably release for GNU/Linux.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-2010-2011-2012/autocad-support-for-linux-becoming-a-major-management-decision/td-p/3051192