Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 12:04:50 +0100

On 02/11/2016 11:13 AM, Daniel Pocock wrote:
> As suggested in my earlier email, I feel the list should be reserved for
> things that just about everybody needs to use.

In general, I would agree, but those specific programs which haven't yet
been replaced can be an obstacle to GNU/Linux adoption in general, and
that can only lead to a chain effect.

For example, do you know any people who would switch to GNU/Linux but
are tied to Windows or Mac by specific programs (Adobe Photoshop, Adobe
After Effects, Ableton Live, Cubase, videogames)? AutoCAD and SolidWorks
definitely belong to this category, and replacing them with free
programs is important to bring more professionals to GNU/Linux.

So yes, something like a cross-platform encrypted instant messaging
program should have the highest priority but that doesn't mean other
programs can't be given more importance as well.

Also, I don't want the high-priority list to be just another page on the
FSF blog that nobody cares about. It should be an _active_ effort to
lead the community to fund and/or contribute to certain projects.