Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsin

From: Fabio Pesari
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsing nonfree cultural works?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 18:13:54 +0100

On 02/11/2016 05:05 PM, Joshua Gay wrote:
> Out of curiousity, for those that do strongly believe all works should
> be freely licensed, do you believe that GNU GPL, is therefore itself a
> work that is an injustice to those who recieve it and that it should be
> condemned and avoided?

Trick question: this has nothing to do with justice. But if you ask me,
I would license the GPL recursively!

Let's put it this way: if you can find one reasonable argument against
releasing something under a free license (or into the public domain),
I'm willing to accept it.

It can't be to prevent plagiarism, and this is proven by the fact that
the OSI exists (you can't copyright a concept, fortunately).

It can't be to avoid libel, because people can do it anyway and it would
be illegal in any case.

Plus, the FSF is a nonprofit organization funded by the people, and I
think it's not fair to put things funded by the users' money behind a
copyright (the same applies to all works funded by governments).

So, why?