Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsin

From: Tobias Platen
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] What do you think about the FSF using/endorsing nonfree cultural works?
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2016 18:33:41 +0100

On 02/12/2016 06:29 PM, Aaron Wolf wrote:
On 02/12/2016 09:24 AM, Tobias Platen wrote:

Copyleft requires that the exact license text is passed to all readers
and users. One can still modify the GPL, but that modified licence needs
a different name, as it is not the original work. Even if the GPL were
not copyrighted, as laws and other legal publications are, only the
version published by the Free Software Foundation is valid if properly
marked. I think copyright should be abolished and replaced with a legal
copyleft that protects software freedoms. The GPL would then be obsolete
(and in the public domain).

In order to make the GPL obsolete we need the combination of *three*
legal changes:

1. abolish patent and copyright law
2. prohibit DRM
3. mandate source release for all published works
There may be works without a clear sourcecode form such as sound recordings. I think that the FSF does not have any recommended license for sound recordings, but the demand that the format must be patent free and there is no DRM.

I regularly state that those three are precisely my personal wish. I
think number 1 alone would be positive enough to be worthwhile, but I
completely respect the concerns that we might have serious problems
unless we get all three together.

--
Sent from my Libreboot X200