Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Solving the prisoner's dilemma in crowdfunding

From: Aaron Wolf
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Solving the prisoner's dilemma in crowdfunding
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2016 09:40:28 -0800

On 02/23/2016 02:53 AM, gmail gregor wrote:
> Thank you for the answer.
>
> If i got it right, the gist of snowdrift is looking forward, thus
> changing the whole culture (hopefully/eventually) into sharing and
> giving one.
>
> Also, the term ransom is new to me (wich goes to show i am not really
> all too informed).
>
> Still, was not referring so much to the future works in my question.
> What i primarily had in mind was academic works that one needs to pay
> access fees (and worse). Thinking, huh, what if all the liberated minds
> would chip in, wouldn't eventually all the (digital) culture be freed.

In the case of academic journals, this is *totally* a hostage and ransom
situation. The research is not funded by journal fees! The research is
funded in other ways, and the journals are basically holding research
hostage. It's atrocious. Yes, Snowdrift.coop intends to fund research
and journals, But this issue is bigger than this and is not just about
funding but about other power issues.

The reason we should not ransom academic journals is really a case where
we don't want to reward the hostage takers. We need to destroy the
for-profit academic journal industry, not pay it off.

The overall battle for academic journals is *mostly* one about politics
and convincing researchers about the need to publish their works under
FLO terms, and that's that. Just skip the proprietary publishers. Yes,
Snowdrift.coop could fund some publishing and research costs. For all
the back-log of locked-down things, we need to just get society to where
we realize this is insane and then we need to change the laws and norms
and simply *take* back our heritage and make it publicly available
regardless of what the hostage-taking publishers say.

For anyone interested, check out http://sci-hub.io